Researching consumers as they shop, dwell and decide
An innovative and cost-effective research tool for exploring and understanding consumer behaviour, attitudes and perceptions in the retail and physical service environments.
- Spontaneous, unpaid conversations with intercepted consumers and customers
- Conducted ‘in-situ’ – wherever consumers shop, decide, purchase and experience services and brands
- A mix of qualitative (and quantitative) questioning, not a rigid market research survey
- Conducted by a skilled and experienced researcher, not an interviewer
- Video recording, with consent
- Analysis and reporting via PowerPoint incorporating video highlights
A typical Intellicept study - 2-6 x 2-3 hour sessions conducted across a number of different locations and times of day.
Why Intellicepts should be in your research toolkit
In most other qualitative methodologies consumers can consciously or sub-consciously pre-prepare their responses; they can be influenced by others; or feel they have to behave in a certain way to please the researcher and client. Intellicepts ameliorate this by being spontaneous, in-situ and non-incentivised.
Capturing consumers in real time
Other research methodologies rely on consumers reporting their behaviour and experiences retrospectively. Intellicepts capture consumers as they are browsing, purchasing, interacting with and thinking about your brand, products and store/service experience.
There’s nothing quite like seeing and hearing consumers and your customers talk about your product, brand or service. The Intellicept conversation format lends itself very well to video, not just in terms of capturing and logging responses, but also by providing rich visual context of the subject, mood, time and place.
Large qualitative samples
While there are a number of variables that can impact response rates, over a typical 3 hour session, a realistic sample of 20-30 interviews is achievable.
Without the need for pre-recruitment of respondents, subsequent analysis and findings can be delivered faster than most other research methodologies, especially when conducted as a stand-alone study.
When to use Intellicepts
To capture and explore insights around:
- Brand, service and product experiences, perceptions and attitudes
- Purchase decision-making in the retail and service environment
- Cut-through of visual merchandising, promotions and collateral in-store
- Fast consumer response to tactical or strategic marketing, social issues and trends.
Who should use them
Intellicepts work best for retail or service providers with store or branch networks and FMCG brands with a strong shelf presence. Previous clients have included: airlines, fashion retail, shopping centres, media publishers, telco, food service and grocery.
Please feel free to contact us for more information including case studies.